Become a Friend of the Swindon Museumand Art Gallery

For only £15 a year, you can become a Friend and receive information about our talks. To become a Friend or find out more about us, go to the website www.friendsofmas.org

Wednesday 29 June 2022

Trip to Fresh Air Sculpture Exhibition

A group of Friends visited the Fresh Air Sculpture exhibition set in the grounds of Quenington Old Rectory on the evening of the 9th of June, and were warmly welcomed by organiser Lucy Abel Smith and her husband, David. It's amazing to think that this exhibition has been running biennually for 30 years, making this the 15th exhibition. It would have been held in 2021, but Covid restrictions made that impossible, so it is especially wonderful to be able to attend as a group this year.

The Pool Gallery is a good place to start the tour. I loved the blue tits made by Emily Lawlor from vintage china and bought one which is now hanging/flying in my kitchen. From there, I began wandering round the garden and adjoining field and took a few photos of sculptures which attracted my attention:

I think this was my favourite exhibit, although I wouldn't necessarily want it in my garden, it's very clever, and presumably if you bought it, Sara would install it in your garden onto a suitable tree or shrub. It's called 'Cornucopia' by Sara Budzik
I liked this series of ribbon and stainless steel structures which hang in trees, they're by Edith Meusnier and called 'Dans L'Intervalle
I was a bit concerned that birds might fly into them.
This piece, 'The End is Nigh; Apophis' is made from wood, hinges and stainless steel bolts, made by Ben Rowe, it's sits well in this woodland setting.
From the intimate garden setting, the sculptures continue in the field reached by crossing the river
The piece below, 'Lotus and the Pearl of Wisdom' by Jessica Gill is a really striking piece, beautifully positioned by the river
Pete Moorhouse produces sculptures that rework traditional Islamic designs producing beautiful sculptures like this one called 'Zahir'
I haven't included many photos of Friends, but thought I'd include this one I took of Lesley and Gwyneth who very much enjoyed their time at the exhibition
And here's Neil trying out the bench which he said was very comfortable. It was made by Matthew Burt and commissioned by Lucy to be used in a contemplative place 
The final piece in my selection from so many great sculptures is titled 'Virus (Large)' by Joanne Risley, it's very beautifully constructed, and does resemble the microscopic photos we have seen of the Covid virus.
There is so much information about Quenington Old Rectory in the magnificent catalogue, too much to mention here, I hope you have access to one, if not, you can borrow mine. I'd like my final photo of this splendid copper beech, possibly among those trees planted 250 years ago, to recognise the wonderful work done by Robert, just putting his wheelbarrow away when we arrived at 6pm. The gardens are open for Rare Plant Fairs, and well worth a visit in their own right.
Thank you once again Lucy and David for your warm welcome when we came to visit, and for continuing to make such a difference to the lives of so many people.




No comments:

Post a Comment